for Peter Lau: rototoms as/with cocktail kit

multiperc

for Peter Lau: rototoms as/with cocktail kit

Post by multiperc »

Recent reference to one of Peter Lau's (many) cocktail designs was centered on a 16 or 18" rototom horizontally mounted as a kick.

Peter, if you would, please tell us how that has worked for you...

You posted those pics a while ago, but I'm wondering whether you continued using it, it's advantages/disadvantages, how you tuned it, what head you used, how you packed it and transported it, etc.

I experimented with an 18" roto a year or so ago (vertically, horizontally, and in a shell) hoping it would provide an interesting voice to include with one of my kits, but I was kinda underwhelmed with the sound. Perhaps you have some ideas to making a larger roto a cool kick drum. Please share your thoughts.
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,Multiperc!
Sorry for the late reply!Ok!about my Remo Roto Cocktail drum.So far,I only use it twice with the Band/Gigs.I have no problem with the 18"Roto Bass,as long as you mic it up.It sound good/punchy(Sometimes,I will convert it to Normall "Jazz-Kit" for band pratice!).As for the 16"Roto Bass(Cocktail drum).I have to use Remo clear-coat pinestripe,Mic it up I still get the "Bass"sound that I want!I normally don't pack my Remo Roto Drum/cocktail drum for gigs.I just remove few stand/clamp,and just put everything at the back of my car.As for the Snare and Tom,I go for Cheap Taiwan make single-ply drum head.It sound good!I just don't know why???.I already use the 8" and 10" for my" VARI-PITCH cocktail drum".That's the cocktail drum that I use it alot for recording,band pratice and gigs that I have to pack to travel!I do know that,It's a bit "Challange" to get a good Bass sound from the 16 n 18 Roto( shell-less body!)But,if you have the time to try out different drum head,Bass-beater(Prefer Wood!) Mic,I'm sure you can get a good sound that you're happy with! :D
Thanks
Best Regards,
Peter Lau
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Peter
Thanks for your reply and insight into your use of rototoms in a cocktail kit. I have an ebony pinstripe on my 18" roto right now and I'll try some of my experiments again using a wood beater, additional muffling and will consider mic'ing, however I was kind of hoping that I could get an interesting 'contrast' kick sound with my full kit acoustically. Maybe so!
Given the sound of your boxtail kit, though, I'm certain that you've found a way to make the rototom work for you!
PETER

18"Roto Bass sound!

Post by PETER »

Hi,multiperc!
Since you're using Ebony P.strpie on 18" Roto Bass.I ever try this method,may be you would like to give it a try.Ok!I using "Toilet Paper" fold it to some thickness that you prefer than attached it with Black colour masking tape at the back(Center,where the beater hit!)of the drum head.You can always attached another layer on to it(each time you add in another layer of the" toilet papaer/masking tape "you have to play the bass drum(Try remove the Wood Beater from the Pedal,just hit it with your hand,it's make your life easy! :D ),try tune the drum head abit losse until you hear something like "Tub"sound.Then.....you put the mic in!(Try borrow a bass amp from your bass playerplug in the mic,position the bass amp behind of you..this is normally the simple trick that I use at home!)Hope it works for you my friend! :D
Best Regards!
Peter Lau
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks, Peter - I'll give these ideas a try!