Recieved my Cocktail Kit

MetalHead

Recieved my Cocktail Kit

Post by MetalHead »

Hi,

I receieved my cocktail drum kit this week and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a pretty standard setup from what I've seen. 8" snare and 10" tom hanging off a 15"x25" floor tom/bass main drum. I love the colour, the wood was advertised as maple. I don't know how much of it is actually maple but the shells are solid, they sound nice and loud.

The hardware and joints are all of impressive quality, no chance that they're going to slip or wear out any time soon. The cymbals are pretty tinny but I'd be happy to use them alone. The pedal is great, sturdy and easy to clamp on. The legs are spread very wide so the kit is very sturdy. The skins are standard for a cheaper kit, I've put some gaffer tape on the top snare skin because I'm afraid it will soon break. I plan on buying some nice skins, maybe powerstrokes or pinstripes. Any thoughts? I'd like solid rock skins to give it a bit more guts, not to mention wear and tear.

I've included some pics of the various parts and the 2 ways I have been playing it, stand up and sit down with a slim, portable vintage hi hat stand I've borrowed indefinately :P Now all I need to do is figure out what I should use to protect the kit in transportation.
MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

hayden

Post by hayden »

Hey Metalhead,

I am in victoria and bought the same kit as you from a music shop in South Australia. Mine is in the black finish, however the green is really swanky! You can see more of the wood grain. I have already posted my thoughts on the kit, but I totally agree with you - what a great setup!

I am interested by the way you mounted the side drums in the first pick, L-bracket facing downwards, do you use this setup for sitting down? It would probably put less stress on the hardware too. ( I stripped the thread on one of my bracket clamps on the main drum, had to replace it). I have found mounting the hats straight in front of you onto the back of the tom with a jaw clamp to be really effective for closed hats.

Have fun with your kit,

Hayden.