Sonic-drive cocktail set.

hayden

Sonic-drive cocktail set.

Post by hayden »

Hi all,

After lurking around reading posts for 6 weeks or so (about the time I bought my cocktail set) I have finally registered to share my experiences with you all. For the styles which I tend to play (being bebop / jazz fusion/ light funk) a cocktail set presents an ideal range of instruments, and actually fits well inside my room. It seemed like the natural choice.

Anyway, I recently purchased the sonic drive cocktail set, essentially a club jordan lookalike consisting of 8X5.5" snare/tom, 10X5.5" tom, 15X24" floor-bass, a surprisingly high quality pedal and all mounting hardware and some crummy cymbals (although the 10" hats were pretty good). For a generic brand, this kit is of impressively high structural and tonal quality, and the stained wood finish is very attractive! The difference in sound quality between this kit and my old standard 5 piece kit is astounding (compared to a dixon tempo).

I have had some issues, such as a stripped thread on one of the tom mounts, but I replaced this with an old floor tom leg mount.

Now I am in the exciting process of tuning/muting/accessorising everything! I am currently experimenting with latin percussion and those rim-clamp L-bracket mounts.

Regards,

Hayden.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hello Harden,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new kit!

Check out the Gibraltar Jaw clamps as well as the LP claws. They are a bit larger and heavier but they have a ratchet adjustment that lets you get the angle of the mounting rod just right.

Look them up in the store under hardware:

http://cocktaildrum.com/shop

keep us posted on your experiments,

- John
hayden

Post by hayden »

Thanks John,

I have already bought one gibralter jaw clamp with L bracket, and I'm planning on buying another one to mount a crash cymbal, I am currently using a 10 inch slplashy, 10inch closed hats and 20 inch ride only. I am also hoping to get the cable-remote hi-hats setup soon, though it is amazing what using a permanently closed hi-hat can do for your melodic drumming. Having been forced to create more sounds from a simpler instrument has led to a lot of creativity and experience that I haven't had before. If I get the remote hat setup, I'll be keeping the closed hats setup for sure to ease up on fatigue when I'm not needing to use them open. These jaw clamps have helped erase the preconception I had that only smaller cymbals would work with my cocktail set. It certainly seems you can mount anything you want anywhere now, which is good for getting a nice ride sound.

I'm off to jam : )

Hayden.