My Cocktail Drumset Build

bykrmyk

My Cocktail Drumset Build

Post by bykrmyk »

Hi there. This is my first post. I've been poking around the forum and sure enjoy all of the posts.

Here is a link to my blog where I am journaling the build of my first kit. Let me know what you think.

http://mycocktaildrumsetbuild.blogspot.com/
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Cool. I see you've caught the bug. Welcome, and have fun getting set up. I love playing mine but I definitely feel that building it in the first place was the bigger thrill. I suppose that's why I'm always tweaking mine. Life is all about accessorizing. Cheers.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for posting this up here and for creating a nice log for your project.

Make sure you check out Kyle Bronsdon's 'Build Along with Kyle' artical in the 'Learn:Construction' part of cocktaildrum.com

He has a good step by step history of building his scratch built Cocktail Drum

- John

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/learn/const ... nsdon.html
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Hey John, yep, I've read through Kyle's report. Very inspirational. Thanks.
bykrmyk

New blog post

Post by bykrmyk »

Hey there. Check out my latest blog posting. I was able to get a little done this weekend. I'm still waiting on parts so progress is slow.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

I got the pedal in the mail yesterday. It's a ddrum. It looks very sturdy and works very well. I might look for one to use with my big kit. I haven't converted the beater yet, but it doesn't look hard. I'll keep you posted.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

I've made some progress. For details please see my blog. I've put both shells together and I'm getting ready to cover the toms tomorrow.

I made a trip to Rhythm Traders in Portland on Wednesday. I picked up some 12 inch cymbals that were on sale ($25.00 each) for the closed hi hat. They are not the greatest but they'll be fine for this. I was talking with the sales guy about the build and he suggested using a floor stand instead of overloading the shell with cymbals and percussion. That goes against my goal of making this as portable as possible. I don't want to bring anything along that I don't really need. But... the toms I am using are a bit heavy and I'll save money by using stuff I already have. I'm going to try using a tom stand I have left over from the big set days. I can easily hang some percussion on it. I think I can get it inside my trap case which I am going to use anyway. I'll post a pic when everything is done.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Well, it's done, as far as this kind of thing ever is. I got the bass tom wrapped and put back together last night. Found another broken lug insert, that makes 5. I've learned you have to be careful when you buy these things used. Next time if I can't afford all new lug casings I'll buy all new inserts.

I have never seen a drum wrapped in Tolex (amp cab vinyl) but it worked well, was cheap and I can't hear a difference in the tone. Heck we don't care about tone anyway right! This is a cocktail set!

I'm going to take pic's tonight at practice (if I remember the camera) and get them posted on my blog and here in the next day or so.

Thanks for everyone's help with my build.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

bykrmyk wrote:I have never seen a drum wrapped in Tolex (amp cab vinyl) but it worked well, was cheap and I can't hear a difference in the tone. Heck we don't care about tone anyway right! This is a cocktail set!
Hey Mike,

We care a lot about tone, we are just looking for a 'UNIQUE' tone! :wink:

.. if you get my drift.

Thanks for the updates!

- John
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Ah yes. Well... of course that's what I meant :wink:
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

It's done. For pictures and the complete build story go to: http://mycocktaildrumsetbuild.blogspot.com/. Thanks for all the great tips and info in the forum.[/url]
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Good Job Mike!

I really like the Tolex idea for covering. I would imagine it was much easier to cover as well as much cheaper than regular plastic wraps.

Did you ever do a final price breakdown for the entire project? Would be interesting to see.

Thanks for all the postings!

- John
robertm

Post by robertm »

Cool drumset! I think the Tolex is a marvelous covering, especially in the pattern you use-is it snakeskin? Congratulations! I'll be curious to see the further evolution of the set-improving and upgrading 'em is half the fun.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

The Tolex was very easy to use. I've never covered a drum using the traditional wrap so I'm not sure if it was easier or not. There are two ways to do it either use tape or contact cement. I used contact cement with the Tolex and even though the bond is "instant", there actually is some repositioning time before it won't move. I cut the pieces a little over sized in both directions and then trimmed. At the seams where the ends meet I planned a little overlap then put a steel straightedge on it and cut through both layers with a new razor blade. Exactly the same as doing wall paper. Then I was able to push both ends together the width of the kerf for a nice tight edge. I trimmed 1/2 inch from the bearing edges to keep the head from rubbing on the wrap. On the big drum I used Scotch 77 spray adhesive because it was cold out in the garage that day and I didn't want to deal with vapors and an extended cure time. It seems to have worked as well as contact cement and I had even more time for repositioning. I had to use two pieces of Tolex to go all the way around.

The cost: I didn't keep really accurate records but it was about this:

Shells (eBay, shipping included): $35 for the 16 x 16, $13 for the 16 x 12 Total $48
Hardware: About $175. Used and new parts.
Wrap: (Mojo Musical Instrument Supply) $25 with shipping
Cymbals: 2 10" el cheapo splash used for fixed HiHat: $50
Duffle bag for big drum: $15.99
Total: $314.00 :shock:

A little more than I was shooting for unfortunately. I budgeted $250. I guess I could have bought one of those GP sets off eBay for a little less, but it wouldn't have been as much fun. Although my wife would be happier I suppose. Still pretty cheap for a drumset.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Addendum(s): Yes, it's snake skin. Mojo Music has a user gallery where people who have done projects send in pictures and descriptions. They are all amplifier projects of course. I went ahead and sent mine just to see if they would post a drumset. If they do I'll send a link.

I priced drum wrap through Jammin' Sam and it came to about $300 just for the wrap. Way too much. I'd use a rattle can on it before I'd spend that much. Unfortunately there isn't as much variety in the Tolex patterns. I suppose the bumpy brown alligator would be kind of cool. Or Marshall red. I'm wondering if I can clear coat it with acrylic or poly to make it shinier? It would probably peel or yellow over time though. I have some left over so maybe it's time for another science experiment.