Boxtail drum up-grade!

PETER

Boxtail drum up-grade!

Post by PETER »

Hi!
Just Completed this Box Drum few days!the Top Roto(8"snare) can't be turn.I just use it to carry the drum!the Kick is still the same 8".The kick sounds better the the 1st one.This one is smaller now!
peter
zimbop

Re: Boxtail drum up-grade!

Post by zimbop »

PETER wrote:Hi!
Just Completed this Box Drum few days!the Top Roto(8"snare) can't be turn.I just use it to carry the drum!the Kick is still the same 8".The kick sounds better the the 1st one.This one is smaller now!
peter
Here's your picture links working. That is a really charming set-up. Very unique and it looks great. Nicely done! What do you use for a batter surface on the bottom of the box drum? Is there a head down there or are you thumping right on a piece of wood or what?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hi Peter,

Nice job!

Does something special happen when you push the purple button? :wink:

I'll bet the entire kit folds up into a suitcase!

Thanks for posting it.

- John
PETER

Thanks!

Post by PETER »

Hi,Zimbop!
Once again,Thanks for your great help!!!About the "KIck".I'm using 8"Remo Pinestripe drum head.I cut out some spange(get it from a sofa maker) and attached it around the edge of the drum head(inside)act as muffering!it does make the Kick sound better!
Peter
PETER

Post by PETER »

jmettam wrote:Hi Peter,

Nice job!

Does something special happen when you push the purple button? :wink:

I'll bet the entire kit folds up into a suitcase!

Thanks for posting it.

- John
Thanks John!That Purple Button,haha!infact is a safty reflector for the car(accessories)!! :D
zimbop

Re: Thanks!

Post by zimbop »

PETER wrote:Hi,Zimbop!
Once again,Thanks for your great help!!!About the "KIck".I'm using 8"Remo Pinestripe drum head.I cut out some spange(get it from a sofa maker) and attached it around the edge of the drum head(inside)act as muffering!it does make the Kick sound better!
Peter
How is the head attached? Can you send a pic of the bottom where it's mounted? This is a pretty cool kit.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

HI PETER

this kit is soo cool and it's like your 3rd box kit, right? you must really be getting some good sounds and ergonomic results if you're evolving your earlier design.

I was wondering if you've experimented with a slightly larger kick head, like 10, 12 or 14? Now your box size might not accommodate larger than the 8" head you're using but I'm just wondering if you could get a lower fundamental from a slightly larger head. But who knows, maybe you've fooled laws of physics and this thing sounds like a 22"" !!

If you do another revision on this design (maybe this is as good as it gets) would you be willing to post some dimensions? I'm sure some of us might like to try building somehting similar - and if this sounds as good or better than your previous box kit, you might want to offer some detailed build plans (hint?)

Right now I don't need another drumkit in my studioD (guess what that stands for), but your design is very intriguing..... it looks like the quintessential parlor kit, and at the same time totally portable ready to move out to play in one schlep!

very cool again
PETER

Re: Thanks!

Post by PETER »

zimbop wrote:
PETER wrote:Hi,Zimbop!
Peter
How is the head attached? Can you send a pic of the bottom where it's mounted? This is a pretty cool kit.
Don'tworry Zimbop!I will send the photo later!
PETER

Post by PETER »

multiperc wrote:HI PETER

this kit is soo cool and it's like your 3rd box kit, right? you must really be getting some good sounds and ergonomic results if you're evolving your earlier design.

I was wondering if you've experimented with a slightly larger kick head, like 10, 12 or 14? Now your box size might not accommodate larger than the 8" head you're using but I'm just wondering if you could get a lower fundamental from a slightly larger head. But who knows, maybe you've fooled laws of physics and this thing sounds like a 22"" !!

If you do another revision on this design (maybe this is as good as it gets) would you be willing to post some dimensions? I'm sure some of us might like to try building somehting similar - and if this sounds as good or better than your previous box kit, you might want to offer some detailed build plans (hint?)

Right now I don't need another drumkit in my studioD (guess what that stands for), but your design is very intriguing..... it looks like the quintessential parlor kit, and at the same time totally portable ready to move out to play in one schlep!

very cool again
Thanks a lot for your kind words!Yes!the Kick's sounds better this time,may be because I'm using thinner ply on the front,plus I position the vent on the center.Yes!I can post the drum detailed building plans.This box drum is custom/tailer made for my playing/sitting position.some drummer may find it very low and don't feel comfortable!!about the different drum head!yes!I ever think of using bigger drum head.But it will be another design!!!I'm learning simple trick to play conga now!may be I can come out something like attached a snare's holder on top so that I can put either the Compact Conga or snare!!!
PETER

final up-grade!

Post by PETER »

6"&8" side Tom,10"snare now! add a cow-bell.