cajon, for when a cocktail kit is too much to carry

PETER

Post by PETER »

[quote="robertm"]Hi Peter. Cool drumset as always, the paint job is great.

How did you improve the sound of the snare in your cajon? On a lot of cajons I've tried the snare sound is weak and i'd be interested to know how to improve it.

Thanks! - Robert[/quote]
Hey!Robertm!
Thanks for the kind wroks!! Yes! I do find my cajon's snare weak the 1st time.cause I'm using either Guitar string, wire!!! yes! they did produre something like "Snare" but I don't like it.After few try....I did dicover something new to get a good(near to 80% real snare's sound).I'm not really good explain with words.....I will post the picture later to show you!!!
PETER

Cajon's video!

Post by PETER »

This Video is taken by my drum student(using her handphone)!
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,Robertm!
This's the so call "Snare-wire" that I used for all my cajon!!! if I want more sanre buzz!!! just add more wire to the wire-mesh!! well! it may look very funny!!! but,it's works!! :D
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi Peter. Thanks for posting the picture of the cajon snare. That is really clever! I can see how you could adjust the wires to get a good snare sound. The idea of a simple box being made into a versatile instrument is a cool "brainstorm." Nice work!
cbarks1940

Post by cbarks1940 »

I use AKG Mikes on my kit. The one for the kick drum is D112 and for the other drums I use C418. They are tiny and just clip onto the rim and don't get in the way. No need for stands here.Regards Tony.
PETER

Re: cajon, for when a cocktail kit is too much to carry

Post by PETER »

This is my new "Free-style" cajon that I'm going to use it for next month's Jazz Fest!! It's 16"x 6". I add a Snare wire on the top wooden head.I find it produce a better & near to(90%) a tight snare sound.The bass tone is tight & round.For the pass few weeks,I had been pratice using my hand.It cause pain on all of my finger's joint(May be due to my old age & bone!!!hahaha! :D )so...I decided to use stick & home-made mallet for the snare & bass!!(I use the toy soft plastic ball for the mallet...cause it sound better for the bass!!)I also add a Pedal Low-Hat(DIY)attached 2 8" cymbals as Hi-Hat.Well! it works find for me!!! There's another Pedal wood-block will be completed this week end!!! It's very easy to make this Pedal Hi-Hat!!!
PETER

Post by PETER »

This video is taken by my Singer(She is using I-phone)on Sunday,when the other band member hasn't arrival! Just for pratice,I didn't mic up the whole kits!!
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Peter,

Amazing stuff!

MM
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,Musicman!
Thanks! This is the more clearer pic for my "Traveling Cajon & the Pedal Low-Hat". I use it mainly for unplug gig or sunday band jamming session(1 guitar,1 singer,1 Cajon)!
Regards,
Peter
Baker

Post by Baker »

First post on the forum.
I too am a cajon to cocktail kit convert. I previously played-out on a cajon, and will continue to do so for small, intimate completely unplugged gigs. I also use a percussion tree and bongos. I now gig with a Trixon Elite.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Peter,

You've given me the building bug, so I'm currently in the process of "pimping out" my box cajon with some castanets, a cowbell, and a shaker/tambourine mechanism. I also mounted a cymbal boom on the outside of my box cajon so I have a little splash cymbal too.

MM :)
PETER

Post by PETER »

[quote="MusicMan"]Hi Peter,

You've given me the building bug, so I'm currently in the process of "pimping out" my box cajon with some castanets, a cowbell, and a shaker/tambourine mechanism. I also mounted a cymbal boom on the outside of my box cajon so I have a little splash cymbal too.

MM :)[/quote]
Hi,MusicMan!!
Haha!! Good to hear that! last 2 weeks I just completed another Cajon type box drum.this time I add a 13" drum head(front)as main Kick.on the left side I add a 10" drum head(with snare wire inside)as "snare".Plus I also have a 12" drum head on the right-side as "Floor-tom".There's also a 10" spalsh cymbal attached near the 12" tom! This time I managed to modify my single Iron-Cobra Pedal with Auto Car's clutch cable.It's really "Fun" to play this drum.Everyday I still spend about 1hrs to pratice this little Box drum.Photo will be upload after I'm back from Korea Jazz Fest!!!
Thanks!!
Regards,
Peter
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,
Just want to wish everyone here "MERRY CHRISTMAS". This is my DIY "Pedal-Maracas". Good for Cajon player! :D
Regards,
Peter