cajon, for when a cocktail kit is too much to carry

imradioboy

cajon, for when a cocktail kit is too much to carry

Post by imradioboy »

I just got a cajon for Christmas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajon

http://meinlpercussion.com/percussion/m ... 5f#item231

I am curious to know if anyone has played one live? If so, what mics do you use for the best sound?[/url]
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

Congrats on the cajon. I made mine. I've used it when we play acoustic gigs. I just use my bass drum mike just outside the sound hole. It works really well. If you don't get enough highs try a mic you'd use on toms. An SM57 would probably work the best. Good luck.
imradioboy

Post by imradioboy »

Thanks for the tip. I was messing around with mics yesterday and the bass drum mic works great. I can't wait to get it out to play live.
dcharrison

Post by dcharrison »

No one ever got fired for using a 57. That's my "desert Island" mic.
My son is going in the opposite direction--from a cajon to a cocktail kit.

When he played cajon, I gave him a 57 and a Shure beta 52 so he could mic the front with the 57( to capture the attack and the snare wires) and the 52 in the back to grab the bass.

One thing I've noticed in recordings is that the cajon needs room to breathe. If it is miced to close it gets no room reflections and sounds like..well it sounds like you are banging on a wooden box. A little reverb goes a long way with those. The best I ever heard his sound was in a subway tunnel recorded on a cell-cam. I'd have worked all day in the studio to get a sound half that cool.
zorf

Post by zorf »

cajons are cool, but personally, i get tired of playing bent over.
I like to be relaxed and be able to make eye contact with other musicians and /or audiance.
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

You have a point. I've been trying to design one in my brain that could be played more upright, but I keep visualizing a cocktail set!
imradioboy

Post by imradioboy »

For my last gig, I actually used the cajon as the throne for my Slingerland Expresso kit. I would play it for acoustic songs, and the Expresso for the electric ones. I got a lot of interested stares and questions from the people at the party.
PETER

10 yrs old Cajon!!!

Post by PETER »

Hi,
Cajon is my1st DIY drum project..But I don't like the so call "Bent over" playing position.that's how it end up at one of my friend's store room for so long!!! :( recently..I see more ppl are playing the Cajon on stage.I think is time for me to bring mine to the stage(Sunday Pool side jamming).for the last 2 days I change the new plywood(front)cause the old one already bent due to the room's heat!!! I also put a thin plywood on the left side as Snare now.The front one become the Kick(I add a kick Pedal).on my right side I also add a 6"mini Hi-Hat(I may need to add a 10" Splash too).Now I can play "Up right" position.Yesterday I did try out in my music room.I really enjoy playing it now.I will post the photo later.Who know you guy can also try out this method!!!

Peter
PETER

Cajon photo

Post by PETER »

Hi,
This is the photo of my cajon!!!
PETER

Post by PETER »

This's one of my drum student who try out the Cajon!!!
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hi Peter,
Great as usual.
How do you like the backwards pedal position?
I'll have to try that.
Thanks
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,Zorf!!
About the "backwards pedal position" it's just ok for me.Cause I'm only use it for Sunday Jam session(2 guitar, 1 cajon)and we play those simple 70-80 songs!!! I like the playing position...very comfortable & relax!! and it did attract alot of attention on stage too :D !!!
regards,
Peter
PETER

Another Cajon!!

Post by PETER »

Hi,
This's another "Cajon" that I always use for gigs too!!! This's the 1st verson...the 2nd verson I improve the Snare's sound plus add a kick pedal inside the box...will post the pic later!! :D
Jam with the band!!
PETER

Another improve verson on my Cajon!!

Post by PETER »

Hi,
Add a Kick pedal inside the Box for the Kick's drum.Plus improve the snare's sound(close to 80% real snare now!!!)add a Cowbel & wood-block for the Latin's music!!!it's more fun to play now!! :D
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi Peter. Cool drumset as always, the paint job is great.

How did you improve the sound of the snare in your cajon? On a lot of cajons I've tried the snare sound is weak and i'd be interested to know how to improve it.

Thanks! - Robert