Straight 8s in Dallas, Austin, and OK City (Aug 5-7)

murph

Straight 8s in Dallas, Austin, and OK City (Aug 5-7)

Post by murph »

The Straight 8s don't go on the road often, but when we do... look out! We'll be at the Frisco Bar in Frisco (Dallas) TX on Thursday. On Friday we are opening for Two Hoots and a Holler at The Continental Club. And Saturday we are headlining the 4th Annual Okie Twistoff in OK City. Check out http://www.straight8s/com for details.

The Monster Tiki Rocktail Kit, built by Dennis at Phattie Drums, will be in full effect for all three shows. If you make it out, definitely come up and say howdy!

-murph

SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Cool! I bet goin' on the road is fun. Maybe try to get someone to get a video of a song or 2 and post.

Steve
tikifreak

The Straight 8's

Post by tikifreak »

I went to see The Straight 8's last night in Frisco (Dallas). Great high energy rockabilly with plenty of surf twang. Mostly original tunes (really good) and a few choice covers performed with enthusiasm by a trio of great players. The crowd was into it.

Gotta give props to murph on the custom cocktail kit: he rocked it with dynamics, attitude, and solid timing.

If you're in Austin or OK City, Tikifreak says check it out. You won't be disappointed.
murph

Great to meet ya!

Post by murph »

So I'm sitting at a table near the front door, and Robert (guitar/vox in the Straight 8s) sits down all excited and says "hey Murph, this guy just walked in and he's got one of those reversed kick pedals like yours... he's right over there... what's up with that?" LOL I said "man, I dunno... I did post to the Cocktail Drum Lounge, but what are the odds?"

So over walks this guy wearing a super-swanky tiki lounge shirt. I stand up to meet him as he starts to introduce himself "hi, I'm Mark from the Cocktail Drum Lounge... TikiFreak." I just about fell back into my chair!

I was already having a great time after my first 8 hours in Texas, but getting to hang out with Mark to talk music, drums, and life in general really was fantastic. He brought his customized DW-5000 cocktail drum pedal, and the workmanship is first-rate. I would have loved to catch him playing it live with his Jenni Mansfield Peal & The Hi-Lifers gig. Maybe next trip to TX?

Oh, and hey Mark, it didn't dawn on me till later in the evening that not only did you buy a CD, but you put a very generous tip in the tip jar. I feel like a total schmuck charging you for the CD! We're currently writing and arranging material for the new record, so one of the first copies will have your name on it!

I've had a ton of fun trying to come up to speed on cocktail drums and how to play the beasts over the last year or so. But let's face it, most of us are scattered around the globe. To actually get to meet and hang out with another drummer from The Lounge was a real treat, and definitely one of the highlights of my visit to TX and OK.

-murph