November 26th

palacki808

November 26th

Post by palacki808 »

November 26th, my band Neon Swing will be playing the Hollow Tavern In Ligonier , PA from 8pm until 1 am.

Its the release party for our new CD "Late to the Party". I played all the drum tracks on my cocktail set. So if any of you are in the area stop down to hear us, especially if you like to dance. The floor is usually packed.

-Joe
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Hey Joe,
Long tiime no talk. What heads do you have on your kit, how have you got it tuned, are you using the dual snare set-up or a seperate snare, and are you standing all the time. One last question: What all do you have on your kit i.e. cymbals other drums and gadgets?
palacki808

set up

Post by palacki808 »

That answer is really a load to explain. My set has changed alot in the last year.
When I play rockabilly I use the dual snares. I have a remo coated ambassador head on the drum. I really crank it tight. The bottom head is a coated pinstripe. I use a single 16" A custom crash cymbal and I play everything with brushes.

When I'm playing swing and jazz I use a separate snare and play everything with sticks. Evans g2 clear heads on the small tom and top head of the cocktail drum. The cocktail drum's bottom head is still a coated pinstripe tuned very low (more about that later). I have a remix breakbeat ride and a remix crash cymbal. No hihats ever.

Normally I use the pedal that came with the set from phattie drums, but for gigs 4 hours or longer I use a Pacific double pedal that I inverted the cams on. I stand all night so I can't actually play both pedals as double bass The reason I use it is so I can switch feet when one leg gets tired from staying still supporting the wieght of my body. Its very convienent and works well for me.

Here is where everything gets hairy. I run my own sound every weekend at gigs. There are some really good sound men out there, but they aren't drummers themsleves they'll never do the cocktail drum 100% justice soundwise unless they are a drummer. The top head of the cocktail drum gets an E604 sennhieser mic, the bottom gets an audiotechnica pro 25 mic. When the bottom head is tuned super low its hardly affected at all when you crack the top head hard and it gives you a nice thump through the sound system.

The little snare and tom are also each mic'ed with an E604. All 4 mics are run through a behringer UB1202 mixer with a direct box sending it to a single channel on the main mixing board. The sound man can turn the entire set up and down but I can EQ my drums and their individual levels myself. The mics, mixer and direct box all fit in a single case. So its not as much of a mess to set up and tear down as it sounds. Bear in mind all the drums are tuned to sound good through the system rather than playing completely acoustic. The only thing to watch is that the small tom can really ring because its so high so you have to cut the highs a little and push some extra mid on it to keep it from ringing forever.

The cymbals themselves are very low and directly above the mics so they come through the sound system enough to beheard, but they usually don't overpower the drums. If they do I raise them up a bit and that fixes the problem faster than EQing them down.

I hope this info helps you out. If you ahev any other questions post them on the main disscussion forum and I'll do my best to answer them.