First cocktail set gig

robertm

First cocktail set gig

Post by robertm »

First time for everything, I guess.

A coworker at the college where I work took up guitar after being deaf for forty-plus years and getting his hearing back after ear operations. His girlfriend is native Hawaiian and a singer-songwriter-artist. I'll be backing them for a couple of short sets at the annual open house of"The Cube" art gallery at Mark' s Frame World in Beaverton, Oregon on Sept. 15th. She also will be working on a CD/EP at my "studio' - a good condenser mic and audio interface on my home computer.

Threatens to be fun!
matthew medeiros

first gig

Post by matthew medeiros »

Well, sounds pretty exciting. Good luck & hope the cymbal works well for you. Post a good pic of your set up. A deaf guitar player? Ask him if He knows the definition of perfect pitch: That's when you throw the accordion in the dumpster and it lands on the banjo, Ha :!: Just a joke, folks
Matthew
robertm

Post by robertm »

Perfect pitch? Isn't there a set of bagpipes in there somewhere?
Yes-I'll post a pic or two of the happy day. if we don't mess up too badly!
zorf

Post by zorf »

be sure and set him up next to a big speaker and turn it up real loud while you play.

sorry, couldn't resist.
I'd be so paranoid if i'd just got my hearing back. I would avoid headphones, airplanes,
slamming doors in cars, live music shows above 90 db.
A friend lost his hearing in one ear after a night of heavy drinking and the doctors say
it will never come back. He can't go out and hear music anymore because after a
lifetime of processing sound binaurally, it's too disorienting to hear loud sounds in only one ear.
zimbop

Re: first gig

Post by zimbop »

matthew medeiros wrote:Ask him if He knows the definition of perfect pitch: That's when you throw the accordion in the dumpster and it lands on the banjo, Ha :!: Just a joke, folks
Did you hear the one about the musician who parked his car downtown? He got out of the car and thought of his accordion in the back seat, wondering if he should lock the doors. He decided it wasn't worth the hassle, left the doors unlocked, and went shopping. When he returned, he found two accordions in his back seat.
robertm

Post by robertm »

Well, that didn't work.The night before the gig the lady decided we would all play acoustic guitars, and then that we'd be leaving at 6:30 AM instead of 1 PM Saturday. Her boyfriend the guitar player said a flat "No!" Dunno if this'll ever get off the ground.