Looking for a small flat ride cymbal

2kind

Looking for a small flat ride cymbal

Post by 2kind »

I'm pretty sure that flat/cupless ride cymbals don't come in sizes other than 18" & 20". However, I've put my limit to 15" and won't get cymbals larger than that. It's as much a weight and volume issue as it is about convenience. Since the Club Jordan drum is 15" in diameter, I can pile my cymbals on top of the drumhead, apply some adhesive tape and be on my way...

Due to physical/acoustic charecteristics of a flat cymbal, there is no such thing as a "flat crash", right?

Any suggestions? Has anyone tried the flat bottom cymbal of A Zildjian quickbeat hi-hats (or Sabian AA flat hats) as a "ride" cymbal for a cocktail setup? That would be a 14" flat ride, would it not? :wink:

If you know there's a 15-inch flat cymbal on the market, feel free to notify me.
Just say ho.
ricky

flat cymbal

Post by ricky »

Paiste makes a crystal crash,it still has a bell but it's flat...this may help.
fw

Post by fw »

I've heard Sabian is really good at working with anybody to make whatever cymbal people want. I actually heard that before they custom built one for me on their vault tour. It also seems to me that I heard Paiste offers more esoteric models to their european customers, and that if you contact them, they can let you at their stash of 14" flat rides and 36" hi hats. Zildjian is probably still my favorite cymbal company, but I've heard nothing good about them in the area of weird cymbal models or honoring strange customer requests, unless that customer happens to already get thousands of dollars worth of free cymbals from them each year anyway.

I have heard of 16" flat rides before, and I remember seeing 15" rides and crash rides when I was a kid. Really, crash rides of all sizes used to be everywhere--now, almost no companies offer them, except in beginner packs.

I'd check ebay--weird stuff shows up on there all the time, like 26" and 28" A Zildjian ride cymbals.

Will
SJB05

Post by SJB05 »

If you want to see something intresting, check out factorymetalpercussion.com. Look at the Gothic Radius. Its bassically a thin, circular peice of sheet metal thats used as a ride. They make them from $60 for a 20 inch and up. If you go to their website, you could contact and see if they make em smaller.