killer all-purpose cymbal

tikifreak

killer all-purpose cymbal

Post by tikifreak »

I recently purchased a new cymbal that has turned out to be so versatile that I have to post about it. I bought an 18" Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash to be used as the only cymbal (along with hi-hat) on a Mini-Cocktail kit I put together (more about the kit later). This cymbal comes in 16" - 20" sizes, and I think the 17" and 18" sizes are ideal for Cocktail applications.

Played near the edge, this cymbal has a good ride sound with some wash to it. Played closer to the bell, the ride sound loses some of the wash and becomes more defined. The bell itself has an amazing ping that can really cut through. As a crash, the 18" size is perhaps a bit too large (low pitched) to be ideal for a Cocktail kit, but it is a good crash with controlled sustain that tapers off fairly quickly. Also, it transitions nicely from ride patterns to crash and back to ride. So, this one cymbal can function as multiple ride types and as a crash cymbal. I would assume that the 17" size would work very well in this same situation. I own a bunch of Zildjians, and this is one of the best, most versatile cymbals I have ever played. Very highly recommended!
robertm

Re: killer all-purpose cymbal

Post by robertm »

Must confess to Zildjians being a bit expensive for my wallet's capabilities. When I built my cocktail kit 20 years ago I had no idea how to outfit it with the proper cymbal. 20 inchers would tip it over so I couldn't use full size ride orcrash cymbals. After I got the drum pretty close to completion, on an impulse I stopped in at a local pawn shop and I found a Sabian BX8 16 in. thin crash for $30. I figured I could sell it for that if it didn't work. Hanged if it didn't work perfectly! Great wash sound for ride and pitched right, and of course a great crash, cutting but nicely with a bit of restraint on the volume. Had to sell the kit some years later but if I ever put together another cocktail kit that's gonna be the one I get again!
tikifreak

Post by tikifreak »

I forgot to mention: this cymbal sounds great with sticks, rods, and brushes, and it has the best-sounding crescendo using tympani mallets of any I have heard. I bought 2 of them for comparison, and ended up keeping the heavier one (1350 grams). I'm lovin' it!!
jaxdrifter

Post by jaxdrifter »

I picked one of these up a few months ago, probably the most versatile cymbal that I have ever owned. Definitely the best thing out there for a single cymbal setup. I was using a 17" Dream Bliss crash/ride before this for single setups. The Zildjian 18 blows it away. I just need to remember to attach the pedal first, as my cocktail kit is old with straight legs and gets a bit tippy with the 18 on it.